:: musings of a misfit ::: Booze-free.
Tuesday, August 09, 2005
Booze-free.
Last Sunday, i had my usual - lunch at Sugi with the family, trek around Greenbelt mall then had coffee at Starbucks. But i didn't have much during the day since I was saving my appetite (and stomach space) for the dinner ahead. It was my backup boy's birthday dinner at his house.

i've seen his place from outside before but never inside. I was only casually dressed in jeans and flowy (how convenient) top when i came inside to see several tables decked out in fine dining regalia. His mom greeted me and Erik with open arms and introduced us to the grandparents. Well, he did say it was just a small gathering of family and friends. I had no idea his mom had 11 siblings! it was more like a whole clan and a few friends. So the few of us in the same age group - yes, i consider myself still one of them - huddled in the den to catch some wrestling on tv till the food was served.

Ah the food. I was absolutely delighted to see the buffet spread. backup boy's dad cooks really well from what I heard...and definitely didn't disappoint. From the tinapa and gourmet cheese filled appetizers to the salmon casserole, salsa rice, barbecued spareribs drizzled in spicy sauce, grilled chicken and putanesca. phew. even the simple potato salad was scrumptious. And we topped it all off with apple pie ala mode. damn. i remember having conversations in the first 5 minutes but after that it was every mouth for itself.

We then plopped ourselves inside the den once again but this time to catch Jack TV. it was amazing that the food didn't find its way out of our stomachs with all our laughter from Shorties Watching Shorties. For all those who caught the show that night, i have one word for you: click.

In between taunts, teasings and talks of trysts, we all raided his DVD collection and medical instruments - i mean, dental instruments! and then the guys wanted to check out my car again so we went outside to also sneak in some cigs. Then a hummer passes by. A friend apparently. I just stood there and stared at this kickass vehicle! i didn't even know anyone had one here in manila!

I thought the night would end there but then his mom came down and started pulling out all the photo albums! note that at this point everyone had gone home or to bed and we were the only ones up in the whole house. his mom is the coolest though. i've known her for years and we always got along so well. but it was a bit unnerving to have to see all the baby pictures in one blow. At this point my brother Erik was cracking up with laughter inside because it was a sight just seeing me on that sofa sifting through all those photographs with a mom and a boy on each side. It's kinda cute, if you think about it.

On the drive home, Erik and I just talked about how we enjoy nights out like this...with absolutely no need for alcohol to have a great time.
posted by maldita @ 1:14 AM  
 
 

she had eyes like two turntables mix(h)er in between my dreams and reality blend in ancient themes the bas(e)is of isis cross-faded to ankh the beat drops like a cliff over looking my heart - Saul Williams


MOOD METER
    today i'm feeling...The current mood of mescueta at www.imood.com
STATS
SNAP HAPPY
BLOGS & LOGS
LADY LINK
PREVIOUS POSTS
Archives
THANKS...

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com 15n41n1