:: musings of a misfit ::: it's a beautiful day!
Tuesday, November 09, 2004
it's a beautiful day!
today is one for the books. literally. I'm 28 years old today and yet i feel like I'm about 35. Just the past year has been one discovery and re-discovery after another. About myself and my loved ones. I've made the most changes recently and they are of the turning-point persuasion. And so today is a starting line for the winds of change - for the rest of my life.

it is a fascinating feeling to be remembered by friends long gone - those who you have not seen or talked to in ages and yet always manage to call you at midnight to greet you first. I have always stood by my opinion that friendship withstands distance and time. That you never really have to see or talk to each other to preserve loyalty and sincerity. But at your darkest hours you know who instinctively rush to your side. No amount of bar-time or substances can match that connection of love and respect. And every year, on my birthday I feel that love from these wonderful souls who simply remember to call, text, email or what-not.

It was so simple and pleasant. I jotted down on my journal every single person who greeted me. Rare but existent are those who even check in the afternoon or evening to make sure I am having a happy birthday. I woke up bright and early to answer the ringing phone. I drove to mass at noon then met up with two of my angels - Pia and Ria for a lunch treat. Needless to say all the stories ended waaaay into the afternoon. Then had a short coffee break with JV who dropped by Powerplant after one of his interviews. It's kind of funny when you think about it but I was assigned to buy my own birthday cake. And so I made my usual choice - Apple Pie from Sugarhouse. This has been my standard for about nine years. either the apple pie or the blueberry cheesecake. Nothing traditional at all. And by special request, my family and i gorged on baked prawns and fettucine alfredo. Yumidoodee - stuffed we were. I had already bought the movie tickets for the Incredibles so that was how my day ended. All five of us had ace seats smack in the middle where we laughed the loudest - as is our way.

Most of the gifts I received today aside from all the immaterial ones, have been books. My mom gave me that 2005 planner that had graphic posters and designs that invigorates inspiration for each day of the year, my brother got me Jack Kerouac's The Town and City and Craig Thompson's Carnet de Voyage. For the past few months I had also been sifting through a copy of Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem in Fully Booked but couldn't stand the paperback material that totally ruined the aesthetic experience. With the thickness of the novel, i knew i wouldn't have been able to finish it each time i'd turn that newsprint page. Coincidentally, my friend and i passed the discount bin of National Bookstore where we found a hardbound edition. Only one and cheaper than the paperback. Yesssss!

...and of course we all know about my butch-y baby (still haven't named him) who ironically is not allowed on the streets today (I don't have a plate number yet so i still got to drive him the whole day). By suggestion of several guys, I ended up with Bubu (short for the jap anime Bubuchacha), Butch, Patrick or Benny (after TopCat's Benny the Ball and Benny the Cab of Roger Rabbit)

But anyway, it was great. Steady. Simple.
And I am So very happy. Thanks to everyone for sending their greetings and warmth. I will sleep well tonight knowing I've done good in my past twenty-something years for you to regard me as special.
posted by maldita @ 7:56 AM  
 
 

she had eyes like two turntables mix(h)er in between my dreams and reality blend in ancient themes the bas(e)is of isis cross-faded to ankh the beat drops like a cliff over looking my heart - Saul Williams


MOOD METER
    today i'm feeling...The current mood of mescueta at www.imood.com
STATS
SNAP HAPPY
BLOGS & LOGS
LADY LINK
PREVIOUS POSTS
Archives
THANKS...

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com 15n41n1