:: musings of a misfit ::: behold the eye
Thursday, November 04, 2004
behold the eye

I like this particular painting of Basquiat. I can't say the same for all his other paintings, save for maybe the Horn Players. Several weeks ago I caught the art exhibit of Alexandre Charriol at the Ayala Museum. He had supposedly been inspired by Basquiat's work acccording to some critics. But aside from the intense use of color and large strokes of black, I think he has his own style and identity. What took me by surprise was the size of his work. Charriol likes to use the largest of canvases. Although I admire him for his ability to create, I personally did not like the emotion that adhered as I viewed them. I felt violence and intense anger. Not exactly the feelings you would like to have on a daily basis if you decide to purchase his work and hang them in your hallway.

But anyway, I think that art is of a very personal nature. Just like in interpreting a piece of literary work with a Reader-Response, it is not always going to be in line with what the author intended. But an awareness of one's own perceptions is always a good practice.
posted by maldita @ 6:41 AM  
 
 

she had eyes like two turntables mix(h)er in between my dreams and reality blend in ancient themes the bas(e)is of isis cross-faded to ankh the beat drops like a cliff over looking my heart - Saul Williams


MOOD METER
    today i'm feeling...The current mood of mescueta at www.imood.com
STATS
SNAP HAPPY
BLOGS & LOGS
LADY LINK
PREVIOUS POSTS
Archives
THANKS...

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com 15n41n1