:: musings of a misfit ::: some things just grab you like fire
Tuesday, September 14, 2004
some things just grab you like fire
Having just finished a prelim interview, I decided to reward myself with a new book. Even if I hadn't finished Life of Pi yet because it calls me at different moments of flippancy. So surrounded by the scattered showers in Fully Booked, I made my choice. If only because of this story that left me wanting more.


Here is an excerpt from the short story "The National Anthem" written by Jonathan Lethem inspired by the music and lyrics from "Speeding Motorcycle" performed by Yo La Tengo:

Dear M.,
Our long letters are pleasing to me, but they do come slowly. Lulled by the intrinsic properties of email, I've been willing to let most of my other correspondences slide down that slippery slope, into hectic witty ping-pong. But our deep connection, for twenty years or more now unrefreshed or diluted or whatever it would be by regular communications in person or on the phone, is precious to me, and demands more traditional letters...
...You wonder whether you can stand never to know the touch of a fresh hand, the trembling flavor of a new kiss, and I'm desperately trying to keep from telling you the little I know: It's sweeter than anything, for a moment. For just a moment, and nothing else...the wisdom of your ambivalence, the whimsical, faux-jaded wit you share in your letter, as you contemplate the beauties around you, all that poise will be shattered if you act - I can promise you that much.

I always had this desire to write or find a book, a good one, that had stories inspired by different songs. Because songs have always been an inspiration for momentous emotions and revealing thoughts. I find most lyrics to be like poetry that spoke with hidden tones and personal histories.
posted by maldita @ 10:03 AM  
 
 

she had eyes like two turntables mix(h)er in between my dreams and reality blend in ancient themes the bas(e)is of isis cross-faded to ankh the beat drops like a cliff over looking my heart - Saul Williams


MOOD METER
    today i'm feeling...The current mood of mescueta at www.imood.com
STATS
SNAP HAPPY
BLOGS & LOGS
LADY LINK
PREVIOUS POSTS
Archives
THANKS...

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com 15n41n1