:: musings of a misfit ::
Sunday, August 17, 2003
I am a self-confessed magazine addict. I have to buy around 2 or three each week. I find that the articles found in these thin little book-wannabes are just as interesting as any fiction you can dream of. Oh yes, and of course there's the fashion. But amidst the usual InStyle, Allure and Mega I have also found a preference for men's magazines. Why? because sometimes they have more wit and interesting topics to talk about. I also buy Stuff (not the one about the chicks, the one about the gadgets!) but only the british editions. The asean one lacks something for me. on the local front, I like MenZone. Not too many scantilly clad women that I have to shield the cover from the preying eyes in Starbucks/Figaro...and they cover a wide variety of subject matter. Not just gadgets, not just women, not just sports. There are also articles on political issues, corporate developments and personalities.

Today I discovered two new soon-to-be faves. One is called StopOver which a friend had casually mentioned writing for. I presumed it to be a Travel magazine. But upon more inspection over my cafe latte, I would like to congratulate Ms. Myra Santiago for an excellent line-up of stories and photos. I really like the Stopover Logbook which gives you a rundown of all the places, fiestas or occasions you can take a weekend off to catch. I have only relied on the schedule from the Visitor's Guide to the Phils. which doesn't say much anyway. Then we move on to a unique glimpse of the artist Ben Cabrera. But we've seen countless articles on his artwork, have you ever seen his house/studio? it's a reflection of how he lives his life each day. Ok i can't really mention every morsel of excellent writing in this magazine but just to give you an idea: it talks about underwater hockey, windsurfing in anilao, PDAs and the latest got-to-have-it gear, a culinary tour of italy, the many faces of kalinga, sagada, a love affair with coffee, a fashion shoot in pagudpud, interior design and a visit to Cambodia. This is not your usual travel magazine is it? I told you so.

Next on my list is Lifestyle Asia with a new format. Bigger size, without the old border focusing on one face. This issue’s cover features young heirs in Philippine society. I would call them the “young guns”…Ah Ms. Sari Yap has again proven to me that her good taste is reflected in the magazines in which she is editor. I am an avid admirer of Mega magazine simply because it does not try too hard. If you want me to make an analogy, this magazine is like the quiet young woman, very unassuming yet full of wit and charm…amidst a lot of posers, nouveau riche, and pretentious bombshells. But don’t take this analogy to heart. Don’t get me wrong, I also buy the others…I just prefer the tempo that Mega puts in their writing, pictures and fashion spreads. I don’t know how else to elaborate on this.

Anyway, going back to Lifestyle Asia…I would urge you to buy the latest issue especially for the article “Is the Filipino Male Evolving?” by Vicki de Leon. I think it shows a good outlook on the men that we girls meet everyday…and a symbol of what others strive to be. And I quote: “A good example of the modern bachelor: he is well educated, well traveled, cultures, enjoys going out with friends regularly, is close to the members of his family and even if he has everything he ever wanted at his parents’ home, he chooses to live on his own…but there are those who are stuck in a time warp and refuse to changes. Some sons are so coddled that they have absolutely no inclination to leave the nest at all. Blame cannot be laid solely on the bachelor – with some parents giving him access to all their cars, buying him everything he wants, asking him for no contribution from his paycheck and taking him on expensive family vacations – who would ever want to leave home? To these men, I can only quote Rosseau,” To conquer fortune and everything else, begin by independence.”

Haha thank God I know more of those who fit the description of the “modern bachelor” as opposed to “spoiled bachelor”
posted by maldita @ 12:50 AM  
 
 

she had eyes like two turntables mix(h)er in between my dreams and reality blend in ancient themes the bas(e)is of isis cross-faded to ankh the beat drops like a cliff over looking my heart - Saul Williams


MOOD METER
    today i'm feeling...The current mood of mescueta at www.imood.com
STATS
SNAP HAPPY
BLOGS & LOGS
LADY LINK
PREVIOUS POSTS
Archives
THANKS...

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com 15n41n1