:: musings of a misfit ::: finally...my book review
Monday, September 20, 2004
finally...my book review
i'm going to submit this for newsletter publication so will keep you updated. I just missed the last issue so they said they'll have a bigger spread on graphic novels for the next one...but STILL wanted to share what i wrote with you guys:

same difference and other stories
by derek kirk kim
published by top shelf productions

a review by margie escueta

The rain is pelting my pane like a spray of bullets while I listen to my favorite Postal Service MP3s, take my first cigarette drag and crouch on this lawn chair with an appreciative sense of complete satisfaction. I had just finished reading Derek Kirk Kim’s book “Same Difference and other stories” which I had been aching for since July. Thank the heavens for the diverse selection in Fully Booked that provides readers like me the chance to sample new tastes. (Note: there are four more copies on the shelf last time I looked and trust me, you better start running now)
* today there are only two copies left

Admittedly I began my fascination with Derek Kim when I had the chance to meet the author in San Francisco recently. After an immensely entertaining reading of one of his short stories in an open mic night at Locus Arts, I found it necessary for me to tell him what I thought of his satirical wit. After about twenty minutes of laughing hysterically while discussing the frustrations of dating, I said goodbye and went home to log on to his website to possibly get a copy of the reading. Lo and behold, the man had a graphic novel. Not just any book but one that had been highly acclaimed and praised by the likes of Time Magazine and Ain’t-it-Cool. A huge surge of vanity prevailed in my system that urged me to buy the book. As evidence of such egotistical motivations, I am writing this review to simply tell all of you that I had met this comic genius.

So back to the book. Just when most Asian writers tend to alienate all other cultures with their jargon, “Same Difference” does just the opposite. From the point of view of an Asian American, it provides just enough insinuations as to Kim’s Korean heritage and good looks but there is no delineation between how white or yellow you should be to understand the language and lunacy.

You can find more insight as to how our free-flow conversations with friends appear like to the third set of eyes. The thought process does not come as clearly as say a fortune cookie declaration but it achieves enough to spur a discussion. It does not give the answers either, as if Kim were some self-help guru who knew the significance of verve. It paves the way for questions to be thrown out there, and you seize the answers from your own life occurrences.

Another critical reason to buy this book is to appreciate the simplicity of his graphic depictions. Where some panels are left with no dialogue, the timing is impeccable. How this man calculated the number of seconds needed for the last words to sink in while skimming through the house or sunset in the next few squares is beyond me. It is seamless. I felt like I was watching a stop motion movie that captured every detail without fancy shadings, intricate depictions or much furniture.

So now my reason for owning this book has evolved from a conceited flaw to one of a higher nature. It helps one get by each day of their well-educated bum life when you know it is not all going to waste. Every event leads to a greater discovery of self and others. There are people like Kim or you and me who see things and question incessantly which can only lead to an improvement off the plane of complacency. But we do so with a sense of hilarity and friends. Needless to say introspection need not be a cloud of doom.

So I met this great writer/artist and I finally have his book. Now to jump on a plane to get him to sign it for me.
posted by maldita @ 1:52 AM  
 
 

she had eyes like two turntables mix(h)er in between my dreams and reality blend in ancient themes the bas(e)is of isis cross-faded to ankh the beat drops like a cliff over looking my heart - Saul Williams


MOOD METER
    today i'm feeling...The current mood of mescueta at www.imood.com
STATS
SNAP HAPPY
BLOGS & LOGS
LADY LINK
PREVIOUS POSTS
Archives
THANKS...

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com 15n41n1