:: musings of a misfit ::
Sunday, February 01, 2004
“Do you know how to make God laugh? Make a plan.”

Last Saturday I went to Arlyn’s wedding. A couple of firsts but more notable is it was the first time I went to a wedding alone. I despise going to weddings, simply because I am uncomfortable with the formalities, there’s a video camera aiming at you as you try to shovel the tough steak, the efforts at sophisticated catering leaves much to be desired…oh the list goes on. The only thing I like by and large is the suggestion of two people who have found their ideal match. Or at least someone they would like to grow old with. I think our culture has given more value to this ceremony than our western counterparts who can annul or divorce at the blink of an eyelash. Another cause to adore inherent Filipino values.

But this one was different. Or maybe I just wore the right dress. The evening’s festivities were just unassumingly comfortable, simple and beautiful – like the bride. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The food exceeded expectations and would put any provincial barrio fiesta to shame. Lechon, kuhol, crab cakes, bibingka, buko ice cream, sinigang, kare-kare…mucho gusto. The reception was held in the orchidarium that boasted of orchid arrangements (naturally) and the fountain was lit up with thousands of lights. An orchestra of strings played love songs without the usual irritating singer belting out lyrics. Every element evoked sweetness and affection without the overdone mush and saccharin-sickness we oft find in weddings. All in moderation, as they say.

Busy schedules usually assist in recuperation. A friend asked me for advice at the wedding. He and his girlfriend of 4 years had just broken up and asked me how long I had been bitter till I moved on. I told him, about a month of incessant obsession then you let go. You forgive and accept the state of affairs. Take a look at the big picture. You’ll soon see that your perception of the situation’s gravity is just as much a creation of your mind's eye as the monster chasing you in your dreams.

Then on to meet up with debbie, cris and waxie in Raj. Had ditched them a few evenings before so it was time to catch up. Holding up my long black beaded column of a skirt was quite a feat crossing the busy walkways of Nakpil and Orosa. A few martini lychees later, time to head on home – if you haven’t noticed yet, that’s Capones. It was like the moon was full with all the atypical conversations I had with new acquaintances. I could have just been drunk but I genuinely enjoyed conversations on various topics with several guys that spanned the divergent. Friendliness rooting from unremitting exposure to many things. Lifelong student mentality reveals rewards.



Thanks to ane,jv, trika, debbie, cris, martin, caco, topsy …and everyone else (and that’s just from the weekend) for the comfort and hugs. The might of my continued existence has so much to do with you…for propping me in the pertinent path. Though I am standing on my own now.

Sunday I heard mass. Bumped into enzo. Ate in Sugi. Bumped into mike. Went to UCC for coffee. Bumped into mark. Went to Rockwell with trika and jv. Bumped into 8 people. Studied for tomorrow’s class. Now it is time for this nightcrawler to weave her dreams.
posted by maldita @ 10:57 AM  
 
 

she had eyes like two turntables mix(h)er in between my dreams and reality blend in ancient themes the bas(e)is of isis cross-faded to ankh the beat drops like a cliff over looking my heart - Saul Williams


MOOD METER
    today i'm feeling...The current mood of mescueta at www.imood.com
STATS
SNAP HAPPY
BLOGS & LOGS
LADY LINK
PREVIOUS POSTS
Archives
THANKS...

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com 15n41n1