:: musings of a misfit ::
Monday, June 14, 2004
Last Friday will live in my memory in infamy. Then again, if you look at it – this WHOLE DAMN TRIP has changed my life and has been an experience of a lifetime. Just told my brother that the minute he graduates to take this leap. If I am living in San Francisco at that time then he can go and fly to bunk with me.

I had stayed home Thursday to get some work and jobhunting responsibilities done. My multi-tasker in me has weakened over time but practice can change that. I did a few errands and visited Safeway to get some prepared sustenance for me and jim. Passed out by around 10pm (uncanny!) but slumber broke around 6am Friday. Talk about exhilaration for BFD 2004!

A few glitches in the schedule were unavoidable so we arrived pretty late but hey, I doubt anything could ruin my mood. Take everything in stride…mantra of letting things flow at their own pace. Though we missed a few good bands that opened the stages and the pissing rude woman inspecting our bags – I was still a little baby in an amusement park as we entered the ticketmaster gate. Keep in mind, I have never attended a concert in another country, let alone a summer festival this trippy. Jim didn’t really notice but my insides were jumping jellybeans and I had twinkling stares behind my shades. The heat was a welcome quench for my skin and I think my nose should have been protected – I left with it red as a little berry.

We found an empty space next to a railing where I sat down to suck it all up between the Subsonic and Budweiser tent. Jim took a lap nap while I waited for Story of the Year to sing their one emo song, Sidewalks.


Deathcab for Cutie
was set to go on and we got as close as we could to the stage. I suggested that there should be a certain aisle just for short people. Grrr. If only I was light enough to sit on someone’s shoulders like I used to! But it was all worth the smell of sweat and flying elbows and peering beyong bobbing heads to get a glimpse of Ben Gibbard belt out For Whatever Reason and dedicating their performance to the legend that is Ray Charles.

Fast forward to the subsonic tent where we caught The Streets. The crowd was in upbeat mode and it was my turn to take a lap nap while jim chatted with his old friend, jeff. I can recall glancing to the left, in that grass bed to see this ‘delic couple resting on blankets. The guy had just dropped from sheer exhaustion and planted his head on his girl’s neck. Their arms and legs just entwined around each other as if to grasp their love and affection into one tight ball. It was one of the sweetest things I had seen.

Then time for Yeah yeah yeahs! Be trooped up to the main stage to find our own spot in the crowd. And I was just filled with AWE! Can’t say that enough. There were just so many people, amidst the crowd I was still so at ease and relaxed. Surrounded by great music, hovering clouds, smiling faces as we lied down on that clean grassy knoll. Later on the stars came out and breeze turned cold. And then came…the Beastie Boys! I couldn’t help but bounce around to the beats of this once non-existent band in the realm of my favor. I never quite understood why three guys and a mixer would be so great to hear – until I experienced it myself live.

The concert closed with the Strokes, caught lead singer Julian Casablancas mumbling something on the mic being totally incoherent. But they still kicked ass!

Thanks to jim for the extraordinary night!
posted by maldita @ 5:29 PM  
 
 

she had eyes like two turntables mix(h)er in between my dreams and reality blend in ancient themes the bas(e)is of isis cross-faded to ankh the beat drops like a cliff over looking my heart - Saul Williams


MOOD METER
    today i'm feeling...The current mood of mescueta at www.imood.com
STATS
SNAP HAPPY
BLOGS & LOGS
LADY LINK
PREVIOUS POSTS
Archives
THANKS...

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com 15n41n1